BSOD with Live CD

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

sazearte

BSOD with Live CD

Post by sazearte »

Hello, that's a long time since I am the ReactOS project, but I have a real problem!

I can not launched the Live CD on PC Recent or old, or Virtual PC, VirtualBox or VMware, I every time a BSOD with this error message:
NTOSKRNL.EXE Adress 8094f352 base at 80800000 DATEStamp 52eefc49

Or if I run in debug mode screen hangs on this file:
CDFS.SYS
sazearte

Re: BSOD with Live CD

Post by sazearte »

Well I downloaded the last version of react in OS build, livecd-62460-dbg
The problem is solved, now I get to use the Live CD ReactOS VMware, Virtual PC, or VirtualBox, but I do not manage to use it on my 4 PC!

I have each of the different blue screens!, Yet I even old PC.
oldman

Post by oldman »

sazearte wrote:Well I downloaded the last version of react in OS build, livecd-62460-dbg
The problem is solved, now I get to use the Live CD ReactOS VMware, Virtual PC, or VirtualBox, but I do not manage to use it on my 4 PC!

I have each of the different blue screens!, Yet I even old PC.
Try an ordinary debug iso from trunk and install it in one of your PCs.

I install debug builds from trunk on a dedicated test machine and I have been doing it for years, with very few failures. https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs

The last failure I had, was R62334, which would not except keyboard input at the country selection screen.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
sazearte

Post by sazearte »

The version that is installed on the PC works, I manage to install ReactOS, I'll try the Live CD version r62334, I will also try the version 62461 never known.
sazearte

Post by sazearte »

The r62334 version hangs loading ReactOS
The 62461 Version causes me a BSOD:
win32k.sys address f760c71b base at f75fd000 DateStamp 531b4905
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

It is recommended to capture debug logs in this case, and you can do it with the livecd.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Please note: That sometimes the installation fails the first time, so try to install it again, if it fails yet again, then you have found a bad revision, at least for your hardware.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
BAJ716

Post by BAJ716 »

I'm a ReactOS newbie. I just downloaded v4.3 of the Live CD to give it a try. I'm using an old Dell D9100 which ran WXP years ago and is currently running Linux Mint.

When I boot I get a BSOD with stop code 0x00000069. I tried it first with a bootable USB stick of the Live ISO, then actually burned an optical CD thinking that might help. It didn't, the behaviour of the two is identical. If I boot in debug mode it gets to SWENUM.SYS and the CPU fan ramps up to warp speed and I have to hit the power switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Brad
middings

Post by middings »

ReactOS is bug check (stop) code compatible with its Microsoft counterpart.
Code 0x00000069 means something in the I/O system failed to initialize as expected.

I notice that the Dell Dimension 9100 appears to lack PS/2 connectors for the keyboard and mouse. This PC Magazine review reports that the Dell Dimension 9100 uses a USB 1.1 port for its mouse and has a USB keyboard.

I don't know much (I'm not a ReactOS developer). My guess is that the current incompleteness of ReactOS's USB stack has caused the fault with your PC. I believe SWENUM.SYS has something to do with initializing Plug and Play devices.
BAJ716

Post by BAJ716 »

Thanks. You think it's my USB keyboard or mouse? I could try a different set, I'm sure I have a box of them somewhere here. And yes, no PS/2 connectors on the D9100, but it's 11 years old!

Are there "maximum" system requirements for ReactOS?
middings

Post by middings »

BAJ716 wrote:Thanks. You think it's my USB keyboard or mouse? I could try a different set...
It could be one or both. At least one person has found success by changing to another brand of device. USB support is troublesome to provide because there are so many different hardware implementations.
Are there "maximum" system requirements for ReactOS?
Memory: ReactOS is currently a 32-bit system and does not yet support Physical Address Extension (PAE). This limits the maximum RAM to 4GiB in theory, 3.25GiB to 3.5GiB on actual hardware. Somebody tried assigning 4GiB to ReactOS in a virtual machine with great heaps of physical RAM available and a bug was found. See JIRA issue CORE-12130. It might be a bug in the host computer's virtual machine software, not in ReactOS.
Processor: At minimum, ReactOS supports the Pentium 2 instruction set. The newest x64 and x86-compatible processors seem to work well with ReactOS. You have already encountered the major practical difficulty with using the most up-to-date processors, the motherboards that support them often have newer buss and/or I/O designs that ReactOS does not support well yet. Another obstacle to using the latest motherboard designs is that Windows XP compatible drivers for newer I/O devices and chipsets may not be available.

ReactOS encounters the fewest problems when running on hardware originally designed to support Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Server 2003. (Sorry, MacBook Air fans.)
BAJ716

Post by BAJ716 »

middings wrote:ReactOS encounters the fewest problems when running on hardware originally designed to support Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Server 2003. (Sorry, MacBook Air fans.)
My Dell Dimension 9100 is a 2005 model that came with Windows XP (32bit) pre-installed. I have XP running on it now, but would like to use ReactOS is possible. I will try another mouse and keyboard.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It is unlikely you will be able to use ReactOS, to test it - yes - but to use it as a daily os - no.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.